The Mock: Volume V

Dahl, David

I’m going to do this a little bit differently this time. We’ll list the mock below, and any questions you have, you can leave in the comments, and I’ll answer them during a live chat on Thursday at 8:30 PM EST. You’ll notice a pretty significant name isn’t there, so I’m sure I’ll get a question or two about that.

Have at it!

Pick Team Name Pos. School
01 Houston Byron Buxton OF Appling County HS (GA)
02 Minnesota Kyle Zimmer
RHP San Francisco
03 Seattle Mike Zunino C Florida
04 Baltimore Mark Appel RHP Stanford
05 Kansas City Carlos Correa SS PR Baseball Academy
06 Chicago-NL Kevin Gausman RHP LSU
07 San Diego Max Fried LHP Harvard Westlake HS (CA)
08 Pittsburgh Michael Wacha RHP Texas A&M
09 Miami Deven Marrero SS Arizona State
10 Colorado Marcus Stroman RHP Duke
11 Oakland Richie Shaffer 3B Clemson
12 New York-NL Stephen Piscotty 3B Stanford
13 Chicago-AL Addison Russell
IF Pace HS (FL)
14 Cincinnati Stryker Trahan C Acadania HS (LA)
15 Cleveland Matthew Smoral LHP Solon HS (OH)
16 Washington Nolan Fontana SS Florida
17 Toronto Gavin Cecchini SS Barbe HS (LA)
18 L.A. Dodgers Lucas Sims RHP Brookwood HS (GA)
19 St. Louis Albert Almora OF Mater Academy (FL)
20 San Francisco Zach Eflin RHP Hagerty HS (FL)
21 Atlanta Alex Wood LHP Georgia
22 Toronto Andrew Heaney LHP Oklahoma State
23 St. Louis Chris Stratton RHP Mississippi State
24 Boston Walker Weickel RHP Olympia HS (FL)
25 Tampa Bay Clint Coulter C Union HS (WA)
26 Arizona David Dahl OF Oak Mountain HS (AL)
27 Milwaukee Patrick Wisdom 3B St. Mary’s
28 Milwaukee Courtney Hawkins OF Courtney HS (TX)
29 Texas Hunter Virant LHP Camarillo HS (CA)
30 New York-AL Lewis Brinson OF Coral Springs HS (FL)
31 Boston Carson Kelly 3B Westview HS (OR)
32 Minnesota Kieran Lovegrove RHP Mission Viejo HS (CA)
33 San Diego Brian Johnson LHP Florida
34 Oakland Travis Jankowski OF Stony Brook
35 New York-NL Joey Gallo 1B Bishop Gormon HS (NV)
36 St. Louis Tyler Naquin OF Texas A&M
37 Boston Jeff Gelalich OF UCLA
38 Milwaukee Martin Agosta RHP St. Mary’s
39 Texas Kenny Diekroeger 2B Stanford
40 Philadelphia Mitch Nay OF Hamilton HS (AZ)
41 Houston Ty Hensley RHP Santa Fe HS (OK)
42 Minnesota Victor Roache OF Georgia Southern
43 Chicago-NL Lance McCullers RHP Jesuit HS (FL)
44 San Diego Adam Walker OF Jacksonville
45 Pittsburgh Rio Ruiz 3B Bishop Amat HS (FL)
46 Colorado Corey Seager IF NW Carrabus HS (SC)
47 Oakland Chris Beck RHP Georgia Southern
48 Chicago-AL Josh Elander C TCU
49 Cincinnati Brandon Kline RHP Virginia
50 Toronto Pat Light RHP Monmouth
51 Los Angeles-NL Nolan Sanburn LHP Arkansas
52 St. Louis Tanner Rahier SS Palm Desert HS (CA)
53 Texas Jake Barrett RHP Arizona State
54 Philadelphia Nick Travieso RHP Archbishop McCarthy HS (FL)
55 Chicago-NL Wyatt Mathisen C Callalen HS (TX)
56 San Diego Keon Barnum 1B King HS (FL)
57 Cincinnati Cody Poteet RHP Christian HS (CA)
58 Toronto Clate Schmidt RHP Allatoona HS (GA)
59 St. Louis Kyle Hansen RHP St. John’s
60 Toronto Brandon Thomas OF Georgia Tech
You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

33 Responses to “The Mock: Volume V”

1. Greg says:

What happened to Trey Williams? If he’s around by the time the Brewers pick I think they draft him in a heartbeat.

2. Ryan says:

Is Lucas Giolito fallen completely out of the first round or is this an oversite?

• Nightcrawler says:

Injuries will make his spot in the draft interesting. Would you take the risk of a guy with his arm injury hoping you get the top of the draft prospect that he was, or just play it safe and go a different route.

I hope the Giants draft him with the 20th pick. They can afford to be patient.

3. Phil says:

Why is Dahl falling so far?

• E-Dub says:

And more pertinently, why is his photo sitting atop the mock if he’s sliding? Sorta random! Thanks for the work on the mock though.

4. [...] Chris Crawford posted a new mock draft at MLB Draft Insider.  Byron Buxton is projected to go first overall and a big name has dropped off the mock.  -LINK [...]

5. Casey says:

really like the picks for oakland! would love for chris beck to drop that low for them. great mock.

surprised you have nolan fontana going at 16.

6. David says:

Just don’t see Lovegrove and Poteet going that high. Neither one of them will go on day 1. I’m tired of guys that can’t evaluate talent.

• Chris Crawford says:

To say that Lovegrove isn’t a day one arm is one of the more asinine comments left on this website. Congratulations.

• David says:

First, nowhere in my comment does it say he’s not a first day arm. I said neither one will go on day one. It takes a lot more than just a good arm. However I do find it interesting that you didn’t defend your ranking of the other guy.

Furthermore my comment was one of the more asinine comments on here? I’m wondering where it ranks on your list of all time asinine comments. I was hoping for firstplace but it looks like you missed on that evaluation too. So congratulations to you. Ya jackwagon!!

• Chris Crawford says:

First, ten points for jackwagon.

Second, I apologize for my hostile tone.

Third, as for defending my rankings, Poteet is a guy with three good pitches and deception, and if he was a little bit bigger, he’d be a lock.Lovegrove has one of the best sliders in the prep class and has a ton of project-ability. I don’t think in a weak class that it’s crazy for these guys to go day one at all.

7. Peter says:

Padres desperately need shortstops in their system. They will pick a SS with the 7th pick.

8. Michael says:

How does Dylan Baker at Western Nevada not make your list? He probably won’t make it to the comp round come June. There have been recent scout comparisons in his area to Zimmer and Appel with 3+ pitches and a chance for a 4th. Has been seen numerous times at 93-96 (touching 97-98)and holding it the entire game. Power CB at 78-83 with a SL at 85-87. Oh and he just turned 20 a week ago.

• Michael says:

Chris???

• Chris Crawford says:

Sorry for the late response, Michael. Here’s the scoop on Baker — I haven’t seen him, and the scouts I’ve talked to wont tell me anything about him, so it’d be irresponsible to comment on him. Sorry.

• Michael says:

Ok Fair enough. However, I just gave you a legit scouting report on him and isn’t it funny that just today perfect game had him at 29 in their mock and another had him at 22. *wink* * wink* The reason the scouts aren’t telling you anything is because they don’t want you to print anything on him as if hes some secret. He’s not a secret in the scouting world, trust me. Make your site legit early and take my word for it.

• Michael says:

• Michael says:

Sorry for the double post..it looked like my first one didn’t go through.

9. Tucker S. says:

Wow, Appel to the orioles? Love that, He, Bundy Bros, Britton, Aireta, man that sound great!

10. capirate says:

Don’t know why you have the Pirates taking Michael Wacha. According the the scouting report you provide, he has the upside of a league average pitcher. I should hope the Pirates can get someone with more potential than that in the first round.

• Chris Crawford says:

Wouldn’t be who I would pick either, but he’s getting top ten consideration and hes an easier sign after having to spend crap loads of money the last two years.

11. [...] MLB Draft Insider published their latest mock draft. [...]

12. hmmmmmmm says:

The Braves taking Wood at 21 makes NO sense when the following people are still on the board:

Courtney Hawkins
    Walker Weickel
    David Dahl

• Chris Crawford says:

It sure made sense when they took Gilmartin over all the talented players left on the board, didn’t it?

13. Brandon says:

The Mets pick Piscotty? Seriously?

• Chris Crawford says:

Yes, seriously. He’s an above-average bat who’s likely to play left-field in the pros. He’s a lock for the first-round at this point.

14. Wally Davis says:

Just a correction, the name Addison Russell links not to his page but to that of Stephen Piscotty.

15. TPC says:

Love your stuff Chris. Would love Zunino but looks like a possibility Seattle may not get Buxton or Zunino because the pitchers aren’t doing anything to get anyone excited. Who would you pick and why if the two bats are gone?

16. Gerald Gurin says:

You’ve missed the tall (6’6 210 lbs) RHP from Charlotte, i.e. Ty Buttrey, mid 90s fastball, power curve and change. Heading to Arkansas, but may be a first rounder?

17. Lyman says:

Cecchini is from Louisiana.

18. Creger says:

It is the simple truth is a good and also handy piece of information and facts. I’m just happy that you simply contributed this convenient details about. You need to be all of us updated similar to this. Thank you sharing.